By Delene Kvasnicka of Survivalebooks, U.S. Government, U.S. Department of Defense, U.S. Military, U.S. Army, Military Manuals and Survival Ebooks Branch
This guide discusses the numerous adjustments within the TOW missile, TOW education, and OPFOR armored autos and countermeasures. It comprises education info at the M220A1 (basic) and M220A2 tube-launched, optically tracked, wire-guided (TOW) weapon platforms and service M966. Its meant viewers contains leaders and contributors of mechanized infantry, mild infantry, airborne, and airmobile infantry agencies who teach and try out members and crews.
The TOW is a crew-portable heavy antitank missile weapon system
that may be operated from armored, evenly armored, and unarmored
multipurpose autos and helicopters, and from the floor mount. The
system comprises a guided missile and a launcher to interact tanks,
fortifications, and different materiel pursuits. The time period “TOW” is an acronym
derived from the phrases that describe the valuable working gains of
the missile⎯tube-launched, optically tracked, wire-guided. The launcher
initiates, tracks, and controls the flight of the missile through advice signals
transmitted over a command-link twine that connects the missile with the
The TOW weapon method includes a launcher, which has monitoring and keep an eye on services, and the missile, that's encased in a release box. The launcher is provided with self-contained, replaceable units.
a. services. The TOW is especially an antitank weapon used for long-range engagement of armored pursuits. it may be hired in all climatic conditions so long as the gunner can see his objective throughout the daysight tracker or nightsight. The TOW additionally offers a long-range attack power opposed to seriously fortified bunkers, tablet bins, and
(1) The ITOW missile can break ambitions at a minimal variety of sixty five meters and a greatest diversity of 3,750 meters. The TOW 2B missile can break ambitions at a minimal variety of 288 meters whilst fired from the floor mount and 2 hundred meters whilst fired from the HMMWV or BFV. The TOW 2B has a greatest variety of 3,750 meters no matter if flooring- or vehicle-mounted.
(2) the automated missile monitoring and regulate services of the TOW weapon process supply a excessive first-round-hit chance. to function the method, the gunner locations the crosshairs of the sighting approach (either the daysight tracker or the nightsight) at the objective, fires the missile, and facilities the crosshairs at the aim snapshot till missile influence. The optical monitoring and command capabilities in the method advisor the missile alongside the gunner’s line of sight. The gunner doesn't practice lead, windage, or elevation.
b. Mobility. The TOW weapon method should be vehicle-mounted or floor emplaced (tripod-mounted) for operation. Missiles may be introduced from both operational mode. (Detailed working strategies for every configuration are supplied in Chapters 2 and 3.)
(1) the whole process might be hand-carried via a weapon group; for that reason, emplacement websites may be replaced speedy to lessen detection or to interact pursuits which are out of range.
(2) The vehicle-mounted launcher is extra cellular and will be fast ready to be used. The launcher should be assembled and disassembled with out using tools.
(3) integrated self-test circuits can be utilized to envision the operational situation of the assembled launcher even if floor- or vehicle-mounted.