By John Bertram
What may still Lolita appear like? The query has dogged book-cover designers seeing that 1955, while Lolita used to be first released in a simple eco-friendly wrapper. The heroine of Vladimir Nabokov's vintage novel has frequently been proven as a teenage seductress in heart-shaped glasses--a misleading photo that misreads the publication yet has seeped deep into our cultural lifestyles, from type to film.
Lolita - the tale of a canopy woman: Vladimir Nabokov's Novel in paintings and Design reconsiders the canopy of Lolita. 80 well known photo designers and illustrators (including Paula Scher, Jessica Hische, Jessica Helfand, and Peter Mendelsund) provide their very own takes at the book's jacket, whereas graphic-design critics and Nabokov students survey greater than part a century of Lolita covers. you will additionally locate considerate essays from such layout luminaries as Mary Gaitskill, Debbie Millman, Michael Bierut, Peter Mendelsund, Jessica Helfand, Alice Twemlow, Johanna Drucker, Leland de l. a. Durantaye, Ellen Pifer, and Stephen Blackwell.
Through the lenses of layout and literature, Lolita - the tale of a canopy Girl tells the unusual layout background of 1 of crucial novels of the twentieth century--and bargains a brand new approach for considering visually approximately tricky books. you are going to by no means examine Lolita an identical method again.
Read Online or Download Lolita - The Story of a Cover Girl: Vladimir Nabokov's Novel in Art and Design PDF
Similar commercial books
We're an international of tourists. applied sciences have enabled us to connect to others world wide at tremendous velocity, and now either enterprise and pleasure operate on a world scale. the method of having from element A to indicate B is consequently of extra curiosity than ever, and Gregory Votolato right here charts the heritage of that trip in all its complexity and diversity.
Use 3 effortless innovations to create a massive number of books. 19 enjoyable tasks, inspirational gallery.
The Cavendish legislation playing cards hide the large diversity of topics to be had at the undergraduate legislation programme,as good as at the CPE/Diploma in legislation direction. each of the Cavendish legislations playing cards is an entire, pocket-sized advisor to key examinable components of the legislations syllabus. Their concise textual content, simple format and compact structure make the Cavendish LawCards perfect revision aids for selecting, knowing and committing to reminiscence the salient issues of every subject.
- Field Guide: How to be a Fashion Designer
- McDonnell Douglas DC-10 and KC-10 extender: wide-body workhorses
- Aircraft Safety : Accident Investigations, Analyses, & Applications, Second Edition
- Conversion Concepts for Commercial Applications and Disposal Technologies of Energetic Systems
- FashionEast: the spectre that haunted socialism
- Turkey's Accession to the European Union: An Unusual Candidacy
Additional resources for Lolita - The Story of a Cover Girl: Vladimir Nabokov's Novel in Art and Design
In surveying the extant editions, I don’t see many that rise to the challenge. Perhaps the first edition had it right: the so-straight-it-must-contain-something-dangerous approach, otherwise known as the “brown-paper-wrapper gambit,” (which in this case is green). Megan Wilson’s Lolita cover for the 1997 Vintage edition (3) is an interesting case—and stands as one of my all-time favorites. (Though let’s ignore the Vanity Fair quote, shall we? ) When I first encountered this edition, I assumed our supposed Lolita’s pose was flirtatious.
Html> 15 The Penguin Australasia sales director Peter Blake commented: “I guess there have been complaints from customers and they have reacted by removing them from sale. ” See, Hawkins, Peter and Ellie Harvey, “Penguin Classics Prove Too Risque for Australia Post,” The Sydney Morning Herald (October 15, 2009). html> 16 Thornton, Edith. “‘Innocence’ Consumed: Packaging Edith Wharton with Kathleen Norris in Pictorial Review Magazine, 1920–21,” European Journal of American Culture (Vol. 24, No. 1, 2005), 44.
3. 4. ” (Pale Fire) This could be Humbert Humbert agonizing over Lolita after he has ruined her life and his, but it is not; it is Charles Kinbote, King of fabulous Zembla, musing with wistful offhandedness about his young, beautiful, unloved, and undesired wife, Disa. ” In life he casually, near accidentally tortures her; in his dreams he remorsefully adores her. In Pale Fire, Disa is a minor character who receives only a pathetic handful of the book’s 214 pages. But with the poignancy and plangency of sorrow, she illumines Pale Fire’s core; the delusional dream, the preposterous poem, the crumbling bridge between mundane reality and fantastic ideal, the tormenting ideal that insists on bleeding through to the surface (“all peach syrup, regularly rippled with pale blue”) even as it sinks in the mud below.